Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Fetch

I am giving a talk on landslides, slope stability and policy implications. One of the factors on slope stability is fetch. May not really apply to the particular talk I am planning, but then a again maybe I can fit in somehow. For shoreline sites with long fetch (distance over open water) means big waves and more rapid erosion and thus more frequent landslides.
 
 
The image is from a site off of the northwest coast of France. The lighthouse was and is an engineering marvel. In considering shoreline erosion and processes, the extreme events should be considered. Gentle waves may be the norm, but look out for fetch and consider the possibilities.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason I didn't become a lighthouse keeper.
How tall is that thing?

Dan McShane said...

This lighthouse is 47 meters