Friday, May 25, 2018

Mink Encounter on Orcas

I see Lontra canadenis (river otter) on my coastal ventures. On rarer occasions I will see Neovison vision (American mink). We spotted this mink passing below us on the beach on the north shore of Orcas Island. I was struck by its comfort of being so much out in the open.


The same day and not very far away we heard screeching that I initially assumed was a hawk. Instead it was two minks rolling down the bluff slope and biting at each other.



My take was that this was not a fight but was mating - but I am no expert on the ways of mink courtship or dueling and found the encounter confusing. I will say that the minks in question seemed rather oblivious to my presence with their full attention on each other. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Staying north end of Orcas and observerd a mink this morning. It had caught a small fish at low tide. Didn’t know what it was (a weasel maybe?). Saw your post Dan. Thanks for posting. Kirby Duncan, Snohomish, WA.