Sunday, April 16, 2023

Observing landscapes I have not been to

I had a long day of travel with a walk to the train station, the long train ride and then the long plane ride. I had a window seat on the flight. I did get a glimpse of northernmost Scotland and the north coast of Iceland. Then flew over landscapes I have never been to and that are not easy to get to.  

Ice cap area of Greenland

Islands and a frozen sound on the west coast of Greenland

Tracks across snow covered ice to and from Uummannaq, Greenland

Large landslide?

I have read tales of arctic ventures across the ice. Good ice on the left and not so good on the right

Glacial striated land with frozen lakes and forest
This time of year might be the best time to travel through this landscape

Gas and oil wells in northern Alberta

Cold Lake Canadian Air Base and the Beaver River

Vegreville, Alberta and snow melt pattern along roads
 
The Canadian Rockies

Dropping down out of the clouds over Seattle

2 comments:

Hollis said...

Wow! there is some serious undulating in stretches of the Beaver River. Yet not in others ... ?? Neat views.

Dan McShane said...

Although I have not been to the Beaver River (at least this one), it was know by the early fur traders in the 1700s as a poor route - shallow and twisty as shown in the picture. The river maintains that habit nearly its entire length and is a differs from the other rivers in the region. The whole area was glaciated so that would have to be part of the explanation, but the details of this landscape are far from my experience.