Monday, December 30, 2019

Brinnon Elk

In hunting down some pictures from a past venture,I came across some elk pictures from a few summers ago. 


The elk were loitering around the town of Brinnon. Brinnon is located along the west side of Hood Canal on the east side of the Olympic Range. The town is at the delta of the Dosewallips River. The river is only about 22 miles long, but its source area is over 6,000 feet in elevation. The river forms a deep steep-sided mountain valley just above the town providing excellent Elk habitat. The town itself also provides habitat. The bulk of the herd was favoring the fire station on the day of my visit.





2 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Dan! I am so excited to have stumbled across your blog! I grew up in Gig Harbor on the west side of Washington State and I've done lots of hiking, camping and exploring all over the state. I recently got married in September and now live in North Idaho with my husband but I still have a deep love for Washington. I am looking forward to browsing through your past posts and reading your current ones. I homeschool my 10 year old son. He's very scientifically minded and loves geology, geography and history so I know he'll enjoy reading some of your posts as well.

Happy New Year!

Dan McShane said...

Thanks and happy New Year to you as well.