Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A Tree to Follow

Hollis at plantsandrocks.blogspot has been seeking a tree to follow. I like the idea. I have had trees I would pay attention to through a year or two or sometimes longer.

During a different era I would stop to admire a struggling elm on the side of a ravine in eastern Washington. The tree was the highest up the slope growing along a good 100 feet above the trees growing in the ravine bottom where water was more plentiful.

There was another elm growing adjacent to a very old hand dug well in a lonely valley in the Horse Heaven Hills south of Kennewick. It was the only tree for miles. For several years it contained a great horned owl nest. I would purposely plan long runs to visit the tree - it was a 12 mile round trip.

A lone maple growing on the south edge of High Street Park in Bellingham is still a favorite. It's fall show was always spectacular. It is not a native maple and had survived its previous use as a landscape tree for the elementary school that had once occupied the site.

So when Hollis had a post about finding a tree to follow for a year I thought I should find one that I can easily visit once a month. Yesterday I found one nearby as I was returning from my ventures.


I do not believe this tree is a native, but clearly it is well established and appears to be more than tolerating the environment upon which it was planted.


5 comments:

Hollis said...

That is a striking tree. Will you be joining our group, or going at it solo? ;) I look forward to reading your reports in either case.

The Field of Gold said...

This is just great. I really like it that you already 'follow'a few trees and enough to choose. I'll be interested to follow.

Erika said...

A majestic tree. Hope you will share your observations of it with the rest of us tree followers :)

Island Threads said...

your chosen tree looks gorgeous in white, it's a lovely shape, I look forward to seeing the changes through the year, Frances

Squirrelbasket said...

A lovely choice - I look forward to reading more about it as the seasons change.
I hope you will join Hollis and share your posts with us every month - or as often as you can.
Best wishes :)