Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lost and Found in the Field: Minor Cause of Celebration

Somewhere on the east side of Mount Baker below a forested but rocky ridge there is a 3-pound sledge hammer that I inadvertently left at an outcrop. By the now the wood handle is likely gone. It is the one hammer I lost in the field. I figured out that is where I left it the next morning, but the level of effort required to return to the site was not worth the hammer. I replaced that hammer with "The Enforcer" a 5-pound sledge that nearly all rocks would yield to when collecting samples.

A week ago I came back from a field adventure and realized my Brunton Compass was missing. How? It was on my belt. Running the day back, I realized I had slid my camera off my belt and tossed it to an associate to take a picture of a feature he was much better positioned to photograph. While Pulling the camera case off my belt the Brunton followed it. In this case a retrieval was worth the effort. Five minutes of looking around the surmised location and, Yes...

Found it!


2 comments:

Dave Wenning said...

It was well camouflaged to boot!

Elizabeth said...

Glad you found that Brunton - too expensive to leave behind! I lost a hammer in a remote area of Montana and retraced two miles to find it - and I found it!