Friday, June 4, 2010

Coyote Calling Cards

I spent a chunk of yesterday in the woods on Whidbey Island. My route in took me along an unused paved road where I observed a phenomenon that I have seen on many unused roads - coyote scat smack dab in the middle of the road. I guess its their way of letting us and each other know that they were there. But I can't help sometimes thinking that they might be sending a message about what they think of our impact on the local landscape.



Alternatively coyotes have definitely adapted well to the presence of man and their range has expanded significantly. And I must say I find walking roads a lot easier going than straight cross country forest traverses. I also observed some other interesting wildlife adaptation. I had our dog with with me and when we exited the forest we encountered a couple of rabbits. The rabbits saw the dog before Sam saw them and then scurried over to join a group of chickens for protection.


Sam is a good dog. She heeled as soon as commanded despite the double appeal of chasing rabbits and chickens.


2 comments:

Phil Fenner said...

A couple of editing notes... "adapted" rather than "adopted" and "heeled" rather than "healed." (Sorry...)

Dan McShane said...

Thanks Phil!